Saturday, November 28, 2009

Kampar River, White Water Rafting

I knew I wanted to do this again. Thought I won’t be able to make it this year since I didn’t manage to gather people or plan it out with few months remaining in 2009.

When Grace asked who was interested to go white water rafting for our cell retreat, my hands were all up. :)

Yesterday was a public holiday. We reached Gopeng before 9.30am to meet our river guide, Apek from Nomad Adventure. We were then transport by a lorry from Earth Camp to the starting point where we were given the equipment and final briefing (weird but fun experience - had to dodge lots of tree branches). I thought it was interesting that we had to do “water confidence” before we started because it definitely scares you if you have not done it before or just can’t swim. Basically, it is just putting you in the river and allowing the current to carry you through one small rapid.

Apek did warn us that the water level was very low as it hasn’t rain in days. This is a grade I-III river. Our journey covered 12km and 9 rapids. It did seem rather short compared to Padas.

George, Jamie, Marilyn & I were on one raft with our guide Fahimi. Grace, Chen, Shirley and Nicole on another. Alex & Ben decided to take the challenge on individual kayak. They were given inflatable ones which were not great because it kinda got flooded throughout the journey :-p My raft proved to be the noisiest as we scream at every rapid!

What was different compared to Padas/Riverbug was:
1. We had to do body rafting in Kampar. Didn’t have to do it in Padas.
2. Kampar is a much narrower river so we kept running into leaves and branches AND hitting the rocks on the river sides.
3. Maybe because the water level was low, many raft got stuck in between the rocks. There was one time, I could stand up in the river and the water level was below my knee! There just seems to be a lot of rocks everywhere.
4. We didn’t have guides on kayak. I thought it was better to have since it is harder for the guides to help if none of them are mobile.
5. We had one guide on each raft. In Padas, we had 2 guides. Guess it was necessary there since the Padas is pretty wide.
6. I had quite a bit of bruises after rafting in Kampar. Hit some rocks during body rafting and when I feel off the raft. :-p

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Kampar river? The water ok meh? No strong current?

jules said...

no, when we arrived, the guide told us it didn't rain for days. so water and rapid also slower.

Deborah Ng said...

I want to try this too! Connie (Connor's sis) said that the white water rafting in KK is really good :) Let's try one day.