Friday, February 06, 2009

When the game is over...

I received “When the game is over, it all goes back in the box” as a Christmas present in 2007. I didn’t read until the end of 2008. It was a timely read for me – after my surgery and saying “see you soon” to Connor. The book really served as a good reminder on what is our priority and objective in life.

I especially like the part where the writer compared life on earth to a temporary stay in a motel. How we are very unlike to be spending all our money decorating it because it is just not home.

People go through life collecting stuff and then they die, leaving all their stuff behind. Then their kids argue and fight over those stuff and then they die and leave stuff behind again….and the hunger to accumulate stuff continues throughout the lifespan of….the stuff.

Do I like collecting stuff? I guess I do! For what? To make myself happy! :-p
Dumb.

The writer also mentioned about the contrast between his little known college mate and a famous billionaire’s funeral. The number of people and who (friends/family/anyone at all?) actually showed up at their funeral tells a lot about that person’s life. It reminded me about the legacy we leave behind when our time here is over. Who will have eternal treasures? The billionaire who abandon his family and friends for "success" or the little known person who has been serving God and people faithfully with everything he has.

It is the impact we made in others’ lives that really really matters.

2 comments:

Deborah Ng said...

Can I pinjam this book? Sounds good! I like John Ortberg books :)

jules said...

Sure sure...
You are the one who gave it to me lah :)