Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Marley & Casper

I bought a few books from last year's MPH clearance and one of it is Marley & Me.

I happen to read in the newspapers and saw the preview of the movie last month and decided I better read it real soon! It is an autobiographical about the Grogans and their yellow Labrador Retriever.

The subtitle of the book is “life and love with the world’s worst dog”. I roughly get an idea what it is all about. Since my childhood days I have attempted to convince my parents numerous times to allow me to keep a dog. I vaguely remember that we had one but died and another one stolen. My parents gave up. I guess they knew that they will end up caring for the dog anyway.

They finally gave the green light in 2002. We brought home Casper when we was around 2 months old. He was a furball. So rounded and super adorable!

As I read the book about Marley, I realized that Casper is actually a very normal dog. Like Marley, Casper likes to run and crash into the doors. He lungs and chokes himself when we walk him. He is also extremely terrified of the thunder and fireworks.

Thankfully Casper is not destructive like Marley when he is afraid. Casper would just want to be indoors when the storm comes. I suspect he has gotten over the fear. I caught him pretty calm one day during the storm. Everyone was out so he must have forgotten there is still one human in the house. When he heard noise from the house he started pleading to get in! Hmmm… con-dog.

Casper got over the chewing part of his life pretty quickly. We can leave our very new shoes with him and he will not touch them. Surely it is Casper’s presence that prevented the frequent shoe theft.

As I flipped the pages of the book, at every paragraph that describes an occasion or location, I could almost expect the possible disaster. I think anyone with a notorious dog should be able to relate. ;-) It was a good read and as I read towards the end of the book this morning... I cried…:-p. Old age can be pretty bad but that dog savored every moment of life!

Casper is almost 7 years old now. Still a baby to my family but in dog age, he is in his fourties! That's fast. He is aging so much faster than I am.

Every dog lover would agree with Grogan’s following line…
A dog judges others not by their color or creed or class but by who they are inside. A dog doesn’t care if you are rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his.

2 comments:

Deborah Ng said...

Casper so cute!!!! I dare not watch Marley the movie... my cousin told me she cried a lot :((

Stephanie said...

Yes, Casper is so cute! His fur must be very nice to touch. Emmm... i can watch Marley the movie with you on one Friday night ok? ;-)