Friday, April 17, 2009

Conquering Mount Kinabalu I

Mount Kinabalu is part of Kinabalu Park located in Kundasang. After having our breakfast at 7.30am, we proceed to the Mesilau gate for registration and to meet our guide, Din. Hew Yen said that by right I should carry my own stuff to fully experience the climb. I knew that if we engaged a porter, he will probably run up with my stuff. That meant that I had to risk not having my winter jacket and long pants if I really need them half way through the climb. So in the end, I ended up carrying most of my things. I weight it. 5.5kg. Only gave the a few less important things like extra tshirt and beanie to the porter. I packed everything I have in plastic bags. Not very environmental friendly but it was the only way to ensure my stuff don't get wet when (not if) it rains.

Because we only needed one porter, our guide doubled up as a porter. I was too lazy to repack so I tested my own strength. It was actually ok. But I guess it did slow me down in someway.

And the climb begins...
We began the ascend at around 8.30am. As mentioned by various people, this trail is less steep, very scenic but almost a whole 2 km further. We passed waterfalls, walked along the side of the mountains and there were up and down hills along the way.

I tried to take photos of the km markers along the way but I missed a few. The rain started quite early in our journey but we had a lot of trees to shelter us.

At one of the rest area, we had a squirrel running around. I thought it was running away when it suddenly circled my leg. For a minute, I thought it was going to attack me! Haha. Din offered Mentos and it grab it from him.

Along the way, we met many other climbers and we offer each other encouragements and snacks! I realized it is also very important to pace ourselves – know our own speed whether it is fast or slow, I saw people who tried to climb too fast and got cramps quite early of the climb. I was about to get cramps as well when I slowed down too much. I had to keep moving. As the trail changed to more steps consistently, I felt like I was walking up mini waterfalls.

I was told by Aaron that I should never sit or stop for more than 5 mins. It seemed to rain heavier and heavier. When I reached the trail where Timpohon and Mesilau combines, a porter commented we were considered fast. But I was so deceived by this sign. There was still a loOOoong way to go.

The very lonely path
My most unforgettable part was when I passed this path where there were no trees and the path was like a huge stone. I felt like I could slip anytime. Somehow, that very part of the trail has no railing and neither was there rope. There was absolutely nothing to hold on to. The wind was blowing furiously and it was raining heavily and my poncho was flying! All I had was the walking stick. I felt like I was going to slip and roll down if I took another step. I stood at that one spot for a very long time…it seems forever as I prayed for God to stop the rain or at least reduced it to drizzle. It didn’t. It was almost like God ignored me or telling me that I should get out of it myself. *sob sob*

It was weird as the people who were in front of me disappeared. I knew my guide and Fui Ping was still behind but they didn’t show up. Where’s everyone?!!! As I stood there, it was also getting colder and colder. I finally told myself I needed to move or die. The wind was getting stronger. I will most probably get blown away (despite my weight) and no one would ever find my dead body anyway. I continued. Just to find another rest stop just in front where a group of people were seeking shelter. -_-

Reaching Laban Rata
I rested at that shelter for a while. But the rain didn’t stop. Standing there didn’t help, I was feeling colder and colder so I force myself to continue the climb…the "waterfalls". By then my socks and shoes were getting wet, my hands were wet and cold. Surprisingly, the poncho did keep my body warm. I have totally stopped taking photos. The camera did get a little wet earlier and I didn’t want to risk bringing a faulty camera to the peak. I thought the markers were getting confusing as I remembered passing 5km marker on the Mesilau trail. The markers after the 2 trails combined are for Timpohon trail. Some fella actually offered to help me take a picture at one of the markers but I couldn’t bring myself to remove the poncho in the rain to reach into my bag for the camera. I was going to give up, why would I want to take another photo?!! The guy offered to take with his camera phone. I couldn’t recognize him and most people on the way...everyone were in their poncho, so everyone looked alike :-p

The higher we were, the more rocks and stones there were. I was practically crawling. I hold the walking stick on one hand and my other hand grab to hold on to anything I could get a grip on.

It was a huge relieved when I saw a container. But it wasn’t Laban Rata. I kept walking and I saw another structure. I wasn’t sure. A boy in front of me said we have arrived but I was so skeptical I asked if he was sure because it looks higher. It was…it was Laban Rata Hut. (Note: I didn't even see this sign till I was descending the next day)

The little heaven of Mt. K. I looked into the doors and saw my friends who have arrived earlier. Hew Yen came running with the towel and it felt like sooooo good. I was shaking like crazy. The warmth of the room was so nice. I couldn’t even feel the hot cup of water in my hands. And the smell of food was too good to be true. Then I remembered I didn’t have a real lunch, just energy bars, raisins and snickers.
The best thing to know then was that were staying in Laban Rata, above the restaurant itself. One of the guide “Ah Tung” also offered to dry our shoes. He charged us RM20 per shoe but it was worth it. We can’t possibly climb in soaking wet shoes.

I know many have said that it was too cold to shower but I was already too cold to begin with. A nice hot (not exactly hot but warm) shower really helped since I was covered in quite a bit of mud from the waterfall climb. They had shared showers and toilets. Since I arrived pretty late around 5.30pm, there weren’t any queue. They stopped serving food at 7.30pm so I had a quick dinner. Somehow everything tasted really good.

We had heater in our 6 bunk bed room. But it didn’t work. It was ok since there were actually 7 of us. A couple decided they wanted to squeeze on one of the bed.

A few of us weren't that well. Some didn’t feel like eating, some felt like throwing up and I felt a sudden fever. Panadol helped. I didn’t really sleep that few hours but it was all quiet by 8pm.

The rain hadn’t stop. I was getting quite disappointed as I knew that guides will not allow us up in rain. Praise God it finally stopped around 10.30pm.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

What? Laban Rata also so difficult to reach ah? Ok ok, if I visit Sabah, I would just tour Kota Kinabalu town. Feast on seafood will do he he he.

jules said...

It was okay. But the rain made it difficult. Someone like me with such lack of exercise made it, so everyone can make it. The only difference is the arrival time. :-p

Actually there are many other interesting places in Kinabalu Park. Would be nice to explore, plus the air there is much fresher.

whyen said...

that part where you thought the wind will blow you away.. then suddenly at a turn.. everyone is resting at the pondok.. haha.. too much drama la you.. but last time i thought the same too xD

Deborah Ng said...

Wah...I don't think I'll ever climb Mt. KK. So difficult. I will be shopping with Stephanie in KK town. U r good la...*tabik*