Sunday, April 05, 2009

My 1st and most likely last Malaysian F1 Experience

I haven’t been following the sports much since Mika Hakkinen days. So when Mei Peng asked if I was interested to watch, the 1st thing that came out of me was, do I need to pay? Even after being told that it is a free ticket, I was pretty skeptical. I could imagine the hot sun. But none of us really thought about the rain. We had a little bit of drama of forgetting the tickets and car overheated and stuck in the jam for many hours even after the race started. But in summary, I think Sepang, Malaysia totally failed in putting together this event. Here are my reasons.
  1. There were no proper traffic control will traffic police instructing traffic into emergency lane and some pointing furiously at those who are in the emergency lane. So? To use or not to use?
  2. The parking system was horrible because we queued and they decided in the last minute that we should just go directly to the parking lots.
  3. For RM50 a car, the parking facility is a total crap. Cars were to park on mud, that means spectators had to walk through mud. With the rain, many cars actually got stuck.
  4. There were many speakers around the hillstand but none were working. Many of us had no idea what was happening when all the cars went into the pit stops. We could only call our friends on the grand stand or at home for updates.
  5. The shuttle service to and fro car parks to the party were terrible. No one knew which bus goes where. Bus drivers could not speak English so many foreigners were lost and confused. The buses were not labeled. Even the bus drivers weren’t sure where the car parks were as it was badly labeled. None of the car parks were fitted with lighting. Many of the roads around the circuit had no street light. Thank God we found one driver who was willing to drive us around in darkness to find the pitch dark car park.
  6. The F1 party is not exactly for public. The spectators were only allowed to watch from a screen outside the barricade. The party was for VVIP. The path leading towards the party was bad, people were pushing and none of the authorities did anything. The whole area was all muddy and filthy.
No more F1 experience for me unless I have free super VVIP seats.

-->It’s been 3 weeks now. Tee Hui and I have infection on our feet from walking in the mud and it is still itching. Any lawyers want to offer free service? I want to sue Sepang

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I was watching from home and the torrential rain was a big let down. Nonetheless, I would like to go to watch a F1 one day. I would like to know how the real vroom vroom sounds :-) Btw, sorry to hear about your itching legs. Take care!

jules said...

I should amend my title to Malaysian F1.

I think it would be slightly better if it didn't rain. I watched barely 3 laps before they stopped the race.

Maybe we should consider going to Singapore to watch the night race. Sounds more interesting. Not so hot at night as well.